Poori/Puri bhaji(Puffed Indian bread with potato curry) Recipe:
Poori bhaji is a very popular Indian snack . Poori is actually a type of deep fried puffed Indian bread which is enjoyed with bhaji(potato curry).I love pooris and can eat it with or without the bhaji.
Although Poori bhaji is usually served as breakfast or light snack,Poori is also prepared during Diwali or other ceremonial occasion and served with other vegetarian dish such as payasam.
The bhaji or potato curry is traditional spicy south Asian dish and can be enjoyed with rotis or parathas as well.
Poori/Puri bhaji(Puffed Indian bread with potato curry) Ingredients:
Ingredients for poori/puri or puffed Indian bread:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour.
- water for kneading.
- Another 1/2 cup flour for dusting.
Ingredients for bhaji:
- 2 potatoes,peeled,boiled and cut into small cubes.
- 1 tomato,chopped.
- 1 onion chopped.
- 2 to 3 green chilies chopped.
- 1 tea spoon grated ginger.
- 1/2 cup green peas.
- 1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds.
- 1 tea spoon turmeric powder.
- 1 tea spoon red chili powder.
- 1 tea spoon coriander powder.
- 8 to 9 curry leaves.
Poori/Puri bhaji(Puffed Indian bread with potato curry) cooking process:
Poori/puri(Puffed indian Bread) method:
- Sieve the flour with the salt.
- Add the refined oil and mix well. Add enough water and make a soft but stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls and roll them into small circle,you can use flour for dusting while rolling the pooris.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying .Add the pooris in the pan one at a time and start flickering hot oil over it using a spatula so that it will puff like a ball.Now flip gently and fry the other side till it becoms golden brown.Your poori/puri are ready now.Follow the same procedure for rest of the puri/poori that we rolled.
Aloo Bhaji(Potato curry) Method:
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds,when the seeds start to splatter add the ginger,chopped green chilies,curry leaves and stir fry for 30 secs.
- Now add the chopped onions and chopped tomatoes and fry till the onions become soft.Add the powdered spices(i.e turmeric powder,red chili powder,coriander powder) and stir fry for 1 minute or so.You might have to sprinkle little water so that the spices don't burn.
- Add the potatoes and green peas and mix well.Add salt and 1/2 cup water and cook till you get a thick gravy.Serve with the poori/puri.