If you are a curry lover You will definitely love this dish.This curry has so much flavor in it yet it is very light and easy to digest.I am not a vegetarian but whenever there is some Puja or some other religious occasion in our home when we are not supposed to eat non vegetarian food I cook this curry.As we are using two types of lentils this curry is also a very good source of you daily Protein needs .💪💪💚💚
Now a days in the super market you will get the ready made Dhoka mixture which you just need to mix with hot water and fry. I have tried these ready made pastes but to tell the truth they don't taste as good as the home made ones.So in this recipe I am sharing how you make Dhokar Dalna from scratch.For easier understanding I am writing the recipe in steps with photos But if you face any problem while making it at home do let me know,I will try to help.
Hope you will like the recipe.HaPpY Cooking ❤❤💚💚
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) Ingredients:
Ingredients for Dhoka /Lentil cakes :
- 1/2 cup cholar dal/chana dal/Bengal Gram.
- 1/2 cup matar dal/yellow split peas.
- 2 green chilies.
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 1 teaspoon kalo jeera/Kalonji/Fennel seeds(If you can not find kalonji or fennel seeds in your nearest grocery shop,use roasted cumin seeds).
- oil for frying.
Ingredients for Curry:
- 2 medium potatoes.
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste.
- 1/2 teaspoon kalojeera/Kalonji/Fennel seeds.
- 2 to 3 dried red chilies.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 3 to 4 crushed cardamom.
- 1 cinnamon stick(1").
- 2 to 4 chopped green chilies.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder.
- 1 table spoon ghee.
- salt to taste.
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) Cooking method:
Dhoka/Lentil cake cooking process:
- Wash and soak the lentils(chola/chana dal and matar dal) overnight.
- Grind the soaked lentils + green chilies+ginger paste with little water to make a thick paste.Now add sugar and salt.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a pan and stir fry the lentils mixture in low heat till you get a sticky mixture.Remove from heat.
- Grease a plate with oil and spread the mixture on the plate with almost on inch depth and let it cool.
- Use a knife to cut it in cubes,I prefer diamond shapes : ).
- Heat oil for deep frying and deep fry the cubes.Your dhoka or lentil cakes are ready,now lets start with the curry.
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) process:
- Wash and cut the potatoes in small cubes.Rub the potato cubes with turmeric powder and salt.Fry them and keep aside.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in the pan,add dried red chilies,bay leaf,fennel seeds,green chilies.When the seeds start to crackle add turmeric powder,cumin powder,ginger paste.Sprinkle little water and stir fry till the oil separates from the spices.
- Now add the fried potato cubes,mix well.Saute the mixture for a minute or so.
- Add water and salt,place a lid and bring it to boil.Remove the lid and cook in low heat till you get a thick gravy.Add the dhoka/lentil cakes.
- Add ghee and garam masala,mix well.Your Dhokar dalna is ready.Serve hot with plain rice.
Dhokar dalna Dhokar Dalna