Gulab Jamun Recipe:
I am not really a sweet lover but one sweet that I can never resist is Gulab Jamun. Two main ingredients that are used for making Gulab Jamun are Khoya(Mawa) and Chenna . Khoya is basically dried milk thickened by heating . If you are in India you will asily fing khoya in any sweet shop any time or even in the grocery stores during Diwali or other major festivals.But if you are staying outside India you can use unsalted ricotta cheese for the same purpose. Chenna is variety of Indian cottage cheese made with fresh milk.
Making these soft and mouth watering Gulab Jamuns is very easy and I have tried to make the recipe as simple as possible.Here is the complete recipe:
Gulab Jamun Ingredients:
- 2 cups Khoya(Mawa).
- 1 cup chenna.
- 2 cups sugar.
- 4 table spoon maida(Refined flour).
- 1/4 tea spoon cardamom powder.
- 2 to 3 saffron strands.(optional)
- 3 to 4 chopped almonds.(optional)
- ghee or oil.
Gulab Jamun Method:
- In a mixing bowl mix koya(mawa) with chenna,maida(Refined flour) ,little water and cardamom powder to form a soft dough.Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile let us start making the sugar syrup.In a deep vessel mix the 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup water and bring it to boil.Once the water starts boiling turn the heat low and stir continuously till the sugar dissolves completely and the mixture is clear,this will take around 6 to 7 minutes.Now add the saffron strands ,stir again and Keep aside the sugar syrup.
- Divide the mixture in equal portions and roll them into small balls.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan for deep frying and fry the balls that we made till they turn golden brown.
- Add the gulab jamun balls in the hot sugar syrup and soak them for at least 30 to 35 minutes before serving.garnish with chopped almonds.